Is your Toothpaste Toxic?

One of my favorite classes right now is Pathology. Our professor teaches us things that I wish I could have learned in grade school.  I now realize that in anything that consume one should make a good habit of reading the ingredients on all products. When a label says FDA approved this does not mean that the product is good for our health. For example, everyone use toothpaste, I grew up on Colgate. However I never thought about reading the ingredients and how dangerous the chemicals involved are. When we brush our teeth every morning we are exposing ourself to toxic material that can be completely avoided and substituted for a better product. Lets take a closer look at the ingredients that is most common in commercial brands and what alternatives are available. Sodium Floride

sodium fluoride, a by-product of aluminum manufacturing, can also be found in rat poisons and industrial pesticides. According to the Akron Regional Poison Center, ingesting 1/10 of an ounce of fluoride can kill a 100-lb. adult. Ingesting even a small amount of sodium fluoride may cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Yet despite its dangers, sodium fluoride continues to be a staple in all leading brand’s of toothpaste. There are other ways of protecting our teeth from cavities, such as the frequency and the use of products that kill bacterial with the use of essential oils.

Propylene Glycol

An active component in antifreeze, propylene glycol acts as a wetting agent and surfactant in toothpaste. The Material Safety Data Sheets for propylene glycol warn that the chemical can be rapidly absorbed through the skin, with prolonged contact leading to brain, liver and kidney abnormalities. The EPA won’t allow its workers to handle propylene glycol without wearing rubber gloves, yet it doesn’t stop the chemical from being used in common health care products.  This product is also found in deodorant and antiperspirant. Daily washing with pure baking soda and the use of pure essential oils or perfume will kill the bacterial associated with sweaty arm pits. Alternative natural products sold at whole foods are also an option.

Sodium lauryl Sulfate

Added as a detergent and cleansing agent, sodium laurel sulfate and its cousin sodium laureth sulfate pose a wide range of potential health risks. On its own, sodium laurel sulfate can damage eyes, irritate skin and lead to labored breathing. According to the American College of Toxicology, sodium laurel sulfate may stay within the body for up to five days, accumulating in the heart, liver, lungs and brain. When combined with certain other chemicals, sodium laurel sulfate transforms into nitrosamines, a class of powerful carcinogens that cause the body to absorb harmful nitrates.

Diethyinene Glycol

Diethylene glycol is derived as a co-product with ethylene glycol and triethylene glycol It is a colorless, practically odorless, and poisonous liquid with a sweetish taste

Though these facts are kind of hard to digest, making the change to live a cleaner is a lifestyle.  Several products on the market are toxic, including the food that we eat and the air that we breath.  Protect yourself from toxins, they take away the years we spend with our family.  No wonder why the United States has the highest rate of cancer deaths. We are exposed to elements that produce the toxins in our bodies at a very young age.

We have Options!

Try Jasons Natrual, Toms of Main products. Whatever you do decide to use, always read the ingredients and look up any big scientific words that are hard to pronounce.