Why is there Phosphoric Acid in Cola?
I am amazed at how much everyone likes Coke, I admit I used to be a big Coke drinker too. After a while I stayed away from it because I knew what the sugar could do to my health. My boss drinks a lot of Diet Coke, and no matter how much I tell him it's the coke that will kill him the ignorance will go on. There are more than enough reasons not to drink coke. Have you looked up the ingredients? It's a surprise that this beverage is approved by the FDA. Lets take a close look at phoshporic acid. In other words, I like to call it 'Toilet Bowl Cleaner'.
Phosphoric acid is used as an acidifying agent. Cola is a very acid drink, more acidic than well-known acid products such as lemon juice or vinegar. As cola also contains either sugar or sweeteners, we do not realise the acidity; the sweet taste masks the acid taste. Lemons contain much less sugar and thus taste more acidic. The acid is also responsible for the anti-rust effect of cola.
Why phosphoric acid is used is not clear; most recipes are still secret. Due to the acidity, micro organisms such as fungi and bacteria will not be able to grow; the acid thus also acts as a preservative. Acid is also considered a pleasant and refreshing taste. Other acids may cause the same sensation; however, the widespread use of phosphoric acid is probably due to the fact that when the drink was developed (in the 19th century) phosphoric acid was cheap and easy to obtain.
Did you know that if you pour diet coke down your toilet and let it sit for a day your toilet will be cleaner than the toilet bowl stuff you use?
1. Phosphoric acid is a clear, colorless, odorless liquid with a syrupy consistency.
2. Phosphoric acid is used as an acidifying agent to give colas their tangy flavor.
3. Due to the use of phosphoric acid, cola is a actually more acid than lemon juice or vinegar. The vast amount of sugar acts to mask and balance the acidity.
4. Phosphoric acid also goes by E338, orthophosphoric acid, and phosphoric(V) acid.
5. Food-grade phosphoric acid is a mass-produced chemical, available cheaply and in large quantities.
6. Phosphoric acid is commonly used for rust removal.
10. Aside from the risk of osteoporosis, Cola consumption has also been linked to chronic kidney disease and kidney stones.
I've read that phosphoric acid also occurs natural is meat and dairy. Thought these are also food groups that should be consumed very little, I am in search to find out how phosphoric acid occurs natural.