DIY:Fizzing Bath Bombs with Essential Oils
Creating a spa like environment in your home can easily be done using simple household ingredients and essential oils.
Bath bombs are a fun way to add excitement to your senses while enjoying the benefits of essential oils. They are also entertaining to use, and are loved by both kids and adults alike; because really, who doesn’t love a bath that fizzles?!
Even if you don’t have a bathtub, these bath bombs can still be effective in a shower. The water will help dissolve the bath bomb and release the aroma of the essential oils into the steam.
What you need:
1 cup citric acid*
1 cup baking soda
½ cup cornstarch
½ cup oil (almond oil, olive oil, Fractionated Coconut Oil, etc.)
8-10 drops of your favorite essential oil(s)
silicone mold or saran wrap
* citric acid can be found at most major supermarkets in the canning section
1. In a bowl, place citric acid, baking soda, cornstarch, and oil.
2. Add 8-10 drops of the essential oil(s) of your choice.
Note: Choose an essential oil to best suit your needs. The options are endless. For relaxation, try Lavender or Serenity. For a mood boost, try Wild Orange, Citrus Bliss, or Grapefruit. For a decongestant, try Eucalyptus or Respiratory Blend.
4. Mix well with a spoon or with your hands until a soft dough is formed. It should have the consistency of damp sand. At this point you could also add food coloring, dried herbs, or flower petals to the mixture. If the mixture is too wet, try adding a little more baking soda and cornstarch until the consistency is right.
5. Put the mixture into a silicone mold. Let it sit for at least 24 hours before removing from mold.
6. If you don’t have a silicone mold, you could use cupcake liners or saran wrap to help mold your bath bombs.
7. The bath bombs are ready to use once they are completely dry. To use, just drop them in the tub/shower until they dissolve.
Bath bombs are excellent gifts for both adults and children. When making for kids, try adding some color to the mixture. Not only will they love when the water changes colors, but will also love the fizz and bubbles from the bath bomb as well.